Monday, June 14, 2010

A cheesy thank you to the universe and some of the people in it...

Gratitude helps me put things into perspective. Taking the time to acknowledge the things that I have, and feel that gratitude in my mind, and deep down in my gut as well, is a experience that can change my day. A shitty day becomes more of a nuisance than a real spirit-crusher, and a good day feels that much sweeter.

In the hospital I used to write down (or sometimes just think if writing was too much work) of the things I was grateful for. You might be surprised how long the list can get, even under those circumstances.

So today my gift to myself is to have a little thankful-fest. Here is a collection of things that I am fortunate to enjoy in my life at this very moment.

1. Health - My monthly auto-prescribed blood work came back looking excellent. Better than last month, in fact. That's one more month completed in my goal of one year without relapse, after which point the doctor assures me the chances of getting sick again drop significantly.

2. Upcoming Canada tour to visit friends and family - Vancouver, Penticton, Nanaimo, Winnipeg, Kenora, Toronto, North Bay,... Soooo many things to do! Lots of visiting! It's going to be go-go-go, but I can rest when I get back. Ten more sleeps until the adventure begins!

(I can't wait to go down to the dock and enjoy the quiet...it is a good place to think.)

3. My apartment - My little corner of the world has a positive vibe, and coming home always feels good. Especially the day that the cleaning lady has been here.

4. The cleaning lady - Affordable, and ever so thorough, I love that I live somewhere where this is possible.

5. The views around the city, and specifically the ride to work every morning - In the morning on the bus (except the days when I miss the bus and have to take a taxi - more than I care to admit) I invariably find myself thinking this is so beautiful! Is this really where I live?! And that is a good way to start the day.


6. My place of work - It also has a good vibe. It's bright, and open, and green, and vibrant. Most days, I like being there.


7. Fruit salad bars - This is a beautiful concept. Pick the fruit you want, in the quantities that you want, and pay by weight. A custom-created fruit salad, topped with a panela-soaked fig, a bit of shredded coconut and something they claim is strawberry sauce, this is the most delicious snack in the world. There are several fruit bars in the area, but it is worth walking to the furthest one for the bigger fruit selection and sauces.

8. Functioning Internet, kitchen tap, and water heater - little repairs make big differences. And with my trusty new set of pliers, I will never be left without hot water again - I can fix the bloody thing myself, as many times as I need to!

9. To my friends who participated in the Relay for Life - That is awesome. I hope next year I can make it home to walk with you!


(Becca and team Prairie Dawn raised over $5000 - you guys are amazing!!)
(Jillanne and team Cougars for Cancer raised $8350 - woohoo!!!)

10. Colombia's penchant for 3-day weekends - two this month, before school even lets out. TWO.

There are many many more, but that's a start...

No comments:

Post a Comment