Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to Make Vegan Chili in Colombia

STEP 1: Find a recipe.

STEP 2: Visit numerous local grocery stores and try not to feel like an idiot when the store clerk looks at you as though you are one because you've asked for help finding the tofu.

STEP 3: Purchase tofu substitute Carve (almost like carne - the Spanish word for 'meat') - soy vegetable protein which looks like a cross between croutons and dog food.

STEP 4: Visit numerous local grocery stores looking for chili powder. When this fails, harass a friend until she agrees to share some of her imported stash. Promise to repay after Christmas holidays.

STEP 5: Hit the grocery stores again, this time in search of kidney beans. After reading seven different labels and determining that all canned kidney beans are pre-mixed with pork products, purchase a pack of dehydrated "red beans" and just hope that they are at least similar to kidney beans.

STEP 6: Get kind of frustrated with the whole process because 3 days have gone by and you've already used up the other ingredients you thought were going to be put in the chili; have something else for dinner and follow it up with a nice big glass of wine.

STEP 7: Soak the "red beans" for 24 hours, during which time you must go out and purchase all of the other ingredients again.

STEP 8: Ask the maid to cook the now only slightly pink-ish beans for the requisite 4 to 6 hours until soft enough to be edible. (It is not a good idea to attempt this step on your own, because last time you tried to cook beans, you nearly burned your apartment down, remember?)

STEP 9: Screw the recipe - make the chili using whatever ingredients they had in stock at the grocery store.

Step 10: Enjoy - it was worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Celeste, I finished my Masters and handed it in now so I'm back to my past time pleasure, reading your blog. Did ya miss me?
    Well some pointers you should soak the beans in coconut milk (if you can have it) and after the beans swell you use a pressure cooker with garlic, skellion and thyme (if you can have those too). The pressure cooker will only take like 40mins, if that much. You will get the beans how you need it and not burn down the place. I think ur methods works too though. Screw it and throw stuff in. lol. God I miss you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste I like your blog and I have been passing a great time reading it (it is my first time and I am here by random.

    I used to do something than might be useful in your blog when I described my issues in Colombia: efore the word Colombia I used to put the word Manizales hahahaha, that should help you to describe your manizalitas issues much better because even I, that I am from Medellin I used to felt "like an idiot whit the Manizalitas store clerks". I hope everything is OK with you. Many hugs and kisses my dear and most fabulous English professor.

    Alejo

    PD/ I think people there confuse Tofu with quesito. I´m guessing You can find Tofu at Exito or Pomona in Medellin, Bogota and I think Pereira too. Did you tried some Asiatic resturant?

    ReplyDelete