Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I've Left Canada and I Can't Get back!

Alright, so I'm not lying on my back in the bathroom crushed under the weight of my own walker, but when it comes to Decision Time, I feel almost as helpless as that little old lady in the LifeCall Commercial. (Please say you remember those adverts!)

For the literal minded, I concede that there is nothing physically preventing me from moving back to Canada. I could go, but just because a plane will take me there doesn't mean the move is a logical and financially viable idea. Since I've thought of almost nothing else for the last few weeks, I feel fully prepared to outline my arguments, however after careful consideration I have decided that a visual representation will be more effective.

If I move to Canada, this is more or less how I imagine things will look:
Now...in case for some reason you can't decipher what's going on here, I will break it down for you in a way that doesn't require my spending another hour pissing around on Gliffy.



CONS
  • I live in a box
  • This is because I have no job, and therefore no income
  • The box is a mess because I have no cleaning lady
  • The box is also a mess because I have no job so I just stay at home and make more messes
  • I am alone in the box because I don't know anyone except my sister and her boyfriend, who are both at work...also, they can't stand the mess
  • My parents pay the rent and the bills because I have no job
  • So I'm 31, poor, and still dependent on my (kind, generous, amazing) parents who, while they love me, are frustrated because I won't just take a job as someones secretary "to tide myself over" though I'm pretty sure I'm not even qualified to do that

PROS
  • I don't have to go to work every day! 
Ha ha. Okay, the real pros:
  • Not far from the box are several members of my immediate and extended family
  • I have a bathtub
  • Stick-me doesn't have to wear eighteen layers to keep warm inside the box 
Of course it is possible that I am exaggerating the difficulty in finding employment as a teacher in B.C. This article doesn't seem to think the situation is so dire, as long as you are a specialized teacher or are willing to relocate to the sticks...which I'm not.

Now, I know you were looking forward to seeing my Stay-in-Manizales illustration, but circumstances have prevented me from creating one. Here is a Manizales CON for your consideration: it hasn't stopped raining here in weeks. The weather report says the daily high is around 16 - 18 degrees, but they mean for the 10-minute period every morning when the sun deigns to put in an appearance. Lows are 10 - 12 degrees, sometimes colder at night, and may I please remind you that heating of the air to keep people comfortable does not really exist as a concept here. Just put on another sweater. Or, if you are me, crawl into bed at 7:00pm and refuse to get out (or to draw any more pictures) - on principle. It's just too bloody cold to do anything, end of story, and it's hard to think of anything nice to say when I can't feel my nose.

So the staying arguments will have to wait. Not for too long though - Decision Day is the 13th of December. I am certain only of one thing: when I left Canada five years ago, I had no idea it would be this complicated to get back.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're going about it the right way. You are concentrating on coming to grips with the solution and not worrying about the problem as much. What will happen with the medical plan is what I am thinking. Awaiting the next blog.

    ReplyDelete