Monday, March 29, 2010

Food fairy

After writing last, I went to bed satisfied and motivated. While I slept, a vegan fairy came and collected all of the naughty food from the house and hauled it off in a big sack, like a reverse Santa Clause for food. So when I went down to the kitchen and looked around in the morning there was nothing there that caused me to think you look oh-so-tasty, but I can't eat you anymore!

Well, maybe not. But it would have been nice.

Instead, I went downstairs and saw a cake. And the rest of the leftovers. That damn cake was out on the counter though, in plain view, all day. So I stared at it while I prepared my lunch, a recipe from the new cookbook I picked up at the health food store. I skipped over Delectable Daikon, Belgian Endive Attraction, and Marinated Arame Delight and opted for a recipe with a less irritating name and which had only one ingredient I didn't recognize. (This actually comprised 25% of the recipe though, as it only had four ingredients.)

Tamari. I hoped it was a flavour-packed item, as the other three ingredients were very simple. A brief Google session left me with the impression that tamari is more or less fancy soya sauce. An easy substitute, thank goodness.

Bleh.

Should you ever decide to make kale-garlic-olive oil-soya sauce soup, here are my suggested alterations to the recipe: add vegetable stock! If you don't have any (I didn't) add salt! And herbs! I threw in copious quantities of cumin, fresh ground pepper, red onion and half a can of navy beans as well. Muuuuuuuuuuuch better.

The rest of the day went well, and thank you very much to all of you who wrote me lovely supportive little messages, even if you are secretly thinking that I am crazy.

I haven't decided on today's menu yet. I think this will be easier once I am back at my own place in Colombia, where I can be my own food fairy. The day I left, I invited my maid to take home anything she wanted from the cupboard so I can start fresh when I get back, and I think they might have just opened an organic grocery store not too far from my apartment. This week though, its all about smart choices and discipline.

But at least that cake is all gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment