Sunday, March 28, 2010

Happy 30th

Today was my birthday. I ate cake.

It was one of those Safeway cakes with the sugary icing on top that's so sweet it tickles your throat when you swallow, and I cut myself a corner piece with a flower on top to enhance the effect.

The last time I enjoyed cake this much I was a kid, when I would dig in without dedicating a single thought to calories or health, and I would enjoy the delicious tingling of the icing as it dissolved on my tongue without being distracted by worries about money, or work, or relationships, and it was bliss. Tonight's cake was like that. Childhood innocence on a fork. *sigh* I had two helpings.

There were moments when I thought I wouldn't see this day. I recall thinking after a particularly unpleasant visit to the "special care" unit in October, there is no way my body can take another 3 months of this. But it did. And I don't know - maybe I could survive whatever treatment would be required if I should relapse, but I'm not really keen to find out.

So tonight's cake was not only a birthday cake, it was also a goodbye cake. Goodbye to cake. And all of its refined carbohydrate cousins, and dairy product pals. And while I'm at it, goodbye to meat (including seafood), processed foods, and all added sugars and fats. I will do whatever it takes to make myself well. Mind and body (and spirit? We'll see about that one...)

THE PLAN: a whole-foods, plant-based diet, to be complimented by yoga, meditation, therapy, and whatever other healthy practises I pick up on the way...

The other side of cancer, the other side of 30, I will be a healthier person. This is not a diet. It's an entire lifestyle makeover. Not surprisingly, the most common responses to The Plan so far are, a) that's really extreme; and b) that's going to be really hard!

Of course, they're right. And like many other people, I am an expert excuse generator, and also tend toward laziness and lack of self-discipline where this sort of thing is concerned. It would not have been unusual for me in the past to talk about doing something to improve my diet and health in general, and maybe even do it for a week, and then slip back into old patterns.

The thing is, I just can't afford to do that this time. It has to stick. Fear is a strong motivator, and that will keep me going for awhile, no doubt. But I need to make a commitment I can't back out of when the going gets tough, which of course it will. That's where this blog comes in. I think sharing the experience will help me stick to it. Nobody wants to write (or read) a blog about failing at something, right?

The adventure starts tomorrow. Wish me luck :-)

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! :) I know you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can, too! And, I am going to really enjoy reading your story along the way. You have always been a fantastic writer...and I apologize if this isn't your intention but immediately I thought while reading your blog that perhaps this blog is one way that your writing is going to be read by many and maybe even published and then maybe you'll become famous. I love reading your writing. You know how much you enjoyed that cake? Well, I find reading your work so easy because it just makes sense. Your writing is processed as easily as that cake went down your throat when you were a kid. I can't wait to read the next entry! I also look forward to planning our visit this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celeste, in so many ways you are beauty within itself. Your peace, tranquility, humility, determination and love. I wish for you better days friend... u never know, maybe like Eileen, I'll have the priviledge of planning a visit to come see you too. Take care. The Jamaican :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Celeste
    Sorry I haven't been in contact
    Im sure you have the surport and neccessary Fear to motivate you to be healthier person
    I wish you all the luck in the world

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cessy Monkey -
    Good luck with your new lifestyle choice, you'll do great, I know it!
    Think of you often and hope that you had a great visit home!
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete