Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pep Talk

I have pereza.


This is the Spanish word for when you feel lazy about something. Keeping up with the simple job of feeding myself on a daily basis is a draaaaaaaaaaaaag. It's not that I miss meat, dairy, sugar, etc. because I sincerely do not. But eating the way I have committed to doing takes planning and considerable effort, and some days I wish it were easier.

I don't keep anything naughty in my cupboards, so cheating out of laziness is not an option. But coming home and gobbling down plain chickpeas with just a bit of lime juice and salt on top should not constitute a meal! (I just didn't feel like chopping up vegetables at 3am after a night of dancing and drinking...chickpeas as post-bar food...I suppose it could be a lot worse...)

Eating out is also complicated. For example, yesterday at a restaurant I ordered a Mexican dish (corn tortillas, lettuce, salsa, re-fried beans) but requested that the chicken and sour cream be omitted. We explained this explicitly to the waitress. No meat, no dairy. NOTHING FROM AN ANIMAL. She nodded and wandered off, no doubt bemused by the crazy gringa. There had been no mention of cheese on the menu, so I was surprised when my meal came to the table topped with a product that most definitely originated in a cow. Grated cheese everywhere -aaaargh! At least it wasn't melted, so I was able to pick it off.

Tonight's conclusion: no more whining. I need to get my act together. More veggies, fewer grains and beans, and definitely more exercise!!! With tomorrow's lunch already packed away nicely in Tupperware, I'm off to watch the most recent episode of Glee. If my taste buds can't have junk food, at least my brain can.

1 comment:

  1. You have got the Glee fever too, I saw a glimpse of one episode where this guys was seranading this girl at her parents house (around the dinner table. He was singing "you're having my baby". I couldn't watch anymore...lol. I must admit they can sing though. Sounds like you're still doing well, having less temptations that you expected?

    ReplyDelete