Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chiva time

This is a chiva:





It is a modified sort of bus which was traditionally used in rural areas to transport people and their belongings, and they are still used in this capacity in many areas. The streets of Manizales, however, is not one of them. To me, chiva means bus on which one is allowed and even encouraged to consume vast quantities of rum while listening to live music and yelling at strangers on the street.

Though I would like to make clear that I prefer to leave the yelling bit to others.

The chiva above was actually the vehicle which hosted our annual staff Chiva Night two years ago, shortly after my arrival to Colombia. It was a very successful night out.



(On the chiva with my friend and roommate during my first year in Colombia)


This year's event was, for me at least, a more sedate affair. We boarded the chiva and were given liquor, in the form of a rum-box. Think: juice box, but more powerful.





The band actually rides in the bus with us, playing two different types of drums, a clarinet, and a shaker-type-deal. Though I could not tell you what this type of music is called, I can provide a little sample:






The Colombians seemed familiar with all of the songs and sang along, but it was a little tricker for the 'gingos'. I was fortunate enough to have the words of one of these songs translated for me...That mound is lovely. I will give you anything to climb the mound..please say yes, tell me yes... But peppy, and with drums!

We travelled ever-so-slowly from one end of the city to another, and at one point the chiva pulled over and the party spilled out onto the sidewalk for awhile, so the Colombians could get their groove on. I ate a lollipop.


The band's abrupt return to the bus signalled that the tour was to resume, so we boarded as well and meandered in the direction of the club where the second part of the party was to take place.

As with many of the events that take place here though, I felt more of an observer than an active participant. This was fine arrangement on the bus, but was less enjoyable inside a nightclub at 9:30pm, so I bailed and got a good rest in preparation for my new exercise classes Saturday mornings - dance and tone - woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Atleast you're living life mon :-) and you got some juice...but stronger. That's always a plus :-).

    ReplyDelete